Sunday, February 1, 2009

What's in a name

I haven't quite processed that I'm having a boy. It seems so.... so.... so.... foreign. It's weird. It really hasn't hit me - well - it did a little bit when I was cleaning out Tiffany's clothes that were too small and making a pile for Julia's daughter - I got emotional to think that I wouldn't need this dress or that shirt ever again, and all three monkey's had worn it. Must be the pregnancy hormones.

We have picked out a name - trust me this was no small task - I am surprised we actually picked out a name before the burger was born - I thought for sure we would be looking at him in the hospital and trying to figure out what the man child should be called. Aaron has wanted to keep his family tradition (even though his bro's didn't) of the initials spelling something. Aaron is ADD, then we have BED, AND, & TED. So with this one, we needed a name that started with a vowel since Aaron wanted to pass on his middle name. My only rule is that you can yell the whole name with out stumbling over it - so when they are in big trouble you can scream it. We kicked around ALOT of names - but none felt right. So one morning, like this one - when I couldn't sleep I went online and started looking at boys names that started with vowels. I made a list, but one kept slapping me in the face. When Aaron finally woke up - I showed him the list - and the same name slapped him in the face. It felt right - so it's a keeper.

We have shared the name with a few people - a couple of ya'll liked it - the majority gave is a look of "what?!" as if we were naming him Adolf or Ebeneezer- and have since contacted us with better names. Sorry. We like the name we have chosen, but the suggestions are rather funny of what he should be named - remember the initials -

Stephen Allen Doster
Samuel Tanner Doster
Matthew Aaron Doster
Owen LaDell Doster
Kenneth Ian Doster - totally dig this one - I would call him Kenny for short.
Harold Ethan Aaron Doster
Renzo Elias Doster
Nathan Aaron Doster Sr - my mother thought of this one.

and so on and so forth.....

As for now, we are keeping the name to ourselves, mostly because I am sick of "the look". Until then - feel free to give us a suggestion.

4 comments:

Rach =o) said...

The name you picked is AWESOME! Slap the next person that gives you the look, we LOVED it!

Becca said...

seriously...if you dont call or email the name I will kick your butt! I hate secrets!! You're also welcome to add on to my on-going senctence:-)

Unknown said...

okay, obviously i haven't checked the blog in a while. a boy? that is so cool. we always keep the name a secret too. i mean people already know what you're having they can wait to see what you name it. also, we got weird looks too. people will get used to it if they don't like it. the important thing is that you and aaron agreed on a name. that's a big deal :).

Lorena said...

You just keep that name. I love my granddaughters name "Isolde" I think it is pretty and it fits her very well. But the looks I get from older people (younger people have usually seen the movie) is not nice. I just think "whatever" to them. He will have a great name that both of his parent recognised when they saw it. I can't wait to hear it. but you do have some fun creative friends!