Monday, November 19, 2007

That time of the year


Okay, I love my husband. He may be a little strange, but I still love him. However, this week, every year, he leaves me behind, and starts romancing his two other loves. Black Friday Ads, and Christmas lights. You read correctly.
My husband loves Black Friday - loves loves loves it! So much in fact that when he was in Iraq, I had to mail him the ads just so he could get the rush of looking at them. (This was before the wonderful website of www.bfads.net) He is one of those crazy people who eats on Thursday and then goes and camps out all night at the store, and yes, he always gets what he wants. He has managed to pull my uncle and my brother along as company, but they got smart after the first year, and never went out again. I imagine he gets the same high drug users get when they do their thing.
His second love is Christmas lights. If I had a penny for every Christmas Light bulb we have - I would be a multi-millionaire!! The Griswold family in National Lampoon's Christmas has nothing on us. One of the selling points for us moving into a bigger house earlier this year, was that he would have more space to display Christmas lights. He only buys the lights after Christmas, then he can get them for 25 cents a box and then he plots and plans all year how he will display them. It's nuts. Well, like I said, this is our first holiday season in this house, and so he has already taken off this Wednesday so he can get a head start on his light display show thingy. Unknown to us, our neighbor is a big Christmas light person too. He has been putting up lights all week. Yesterday, after church, when he was out front working on his lights, I asked if he was almost finished (there were so many lights and trees and reindeer, and really no other room for more lights) he then replied that he was only a quarter of the way done. Aaron's jaw dropped, and I could see in his eyes that this was going to be war. Great. In fact, as we drove by last night on my way to my parents, he muttered "damn" under his breath on seeing how much this neighbor is doing. I have this really bad feeling that Aaron will give up his Black Friday shopping just to put lights on the house. If he purchases more lights or displays prior to Christmas - I'll know he has a problem and I'll then check him into rehab.
P.S. The lights are nice he puts up - the bad part is that they stay up - pass my birthday.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This ia Aaron..Eveything that was said is a HUGE exaggeration. I do not think about it all year. I did mutter damn though:)

Stephanie said...

Aaron...you are naughty! You guys are fun, Cory can't wait to put up our lights either! I think it will be on Thanksgiving Day!!